Saturday, September 02, 2006

españa


We're getting drenched by the remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto, so the inclement weather continues. Last night it poured buckets, and driving in heavy night rain isn't something I enjoy, so I stayed home and listened to music. On a whim, I pulled out something I haven't heard for a very long time - the Rondeña from Isaac Albeniz's "Iberia," played by Aldo Ciccolini. Like many Americans, I first heard Ciccolini via his Satie recordings for Angel, back in the early 1970s. The delicacy and whimsy of many of those pieces, combined with Ciccolini's deft touch, made me hungry for more.

In 1976 or so, I happened across a Seraphim 2 LP set of the Albeniz pieces, bought it (who could turn it down, for such a low price?) and promptly fell in love with the broken rhythms and dark melodicism of his work - especially as interpreted by A.C.

So, here it is - Albeniz's Rondeña





No comments: